Thursday, October 28, 2021

Conferences

 A quick word to all parents about grades. I know many of you have shared some concern about your student's science grades at this time. Please be patient as the student's and I work to adjust to different expectations. It has been several years since I have taught middle school science students. I now remember that I have to use very explicit instruction both verbally and written. Some of the results that I am getting on material is missing parts. That can hurt a grade also. I have great expectations for all of our students and I expect all of them to be able to understand and elaborate on various science concepts. That may be an area where the students will have to make an adjustment and always be engaged and ready to volunteer information. 

Many of the students scored poorly in all classes on our latest assessment in the grade book. For each class that was actually a book assessment that I used and I wanted to see how it worked. In the future I probably won't be using those in totallity like I did for that one. 

Please feel free to email if you have questions or concerns. Like you, I want your student to be held to high standards and to learn science content to make them scientifically literate citizens. 


Steve Birchard

No comments:

Post a Comment

3/7/22

Middle School Conferences  I know that Ms. Steinkamp and Mrs. Hensel will be handling your individual conferences this spring. I will be ava...